If you realize a chimney fire is occurring, follow these steps:
Get everyone out of the house, including yourself.
Call the fire department.
If you can do so without risk to yourself,
these additional steps may help save your home. Remember, however, that homes are replaceable, lives are not:
Spray a chimney fire extinguisher into the fireplace or wood stove.
Close the glass doors on the fireplace.
Close the inlets on the wood stove.
Use a garden hose to spray down the roof (not the chimney) so the fire won’t spread to the rest of the structure.